Wednesday, June 07, 2006

"I wonder wonder why the Wonderfalls..."

By now, all of you who read this blog understand some of my personality quirks. If you are still reading this, I guess you have decided that you're OK with it, or that you simply don't care but enjoy reading my ridiculousness. Either way I am sure you won't mind another post about my recently aquired Wonderfalls Season 1 DVD. I have been watching the episodes and the more I see the more I love this crazy little show.

Jaye, the main character in Wonderfalls works in a retail souvenir shop in Niagra Falls. Her family worries why she is working a dead end job and not using her degree. The thing I like about this character is that she is completely real, well, aside from talking to inanimate objects. She gets annoyed with her customers, hangs with her friends and gets into some wacky situations b/c there is nothing else to do. The whole premise is relatable to anyone b/c everyone experiences the adjustments of trying to find their place in this world, especially if you feel that you have no control over anything. Sometimes I too feel like I'm "fate's bitch".
I think your ability to relate is why we like certain shows or movies so much. If you can relate to the characters or story in some way you are more interested in their stories. I smirk when I think that I was that girl who worked in a retail store and felt my life was running me, not the other way around. Of course the dead end job thing still holds true for me now as well. It also hits home when the pink flamingo looks at Jaye and says “Get off your Ass”, b/c I know I need to get off mine when it comes to certain parts of my life. “Get her Words out!”, “Girl needs a boy”, I could go on forever!

There are little instances that really make my viewing of Wonderfalls even more enjoyable. Remember my Indiana Jones pic I altered to dipict the coffee caraf/mug switch I do at work when I am impatient for the coffee to be done? If not refresh your memory of my Coffee Adventure. Yeah, well, Jaye pulled that one in an episode. That made me absolutely split. Lovesick Ass I think was the episode. I also love the way she yells “Crap!” at appropriate junctures, and makes faces of annoyance or disgust and doesn’t hide them. These few instances that her behavior mirrors mine, crack me up and make the show even more near and dear to my heart.

Who can I thank for introducing me to this new Wonderfalls obsession? Tabby! All she said was that she thought I would really like the show. Now that I have watched all but the last episode, I am interested to see if she will tell me if there was anything specific that triggered her to think of me. Perhaps she will post a comment and tell us!? (hint, hint)

Here is the first part of the lyrics to the Wonderfalls Themesong (as If I haven't already beaten a dead horse...)Ewwww! I hate that analogy! Let's forget I even wrote it!!! Poor Old Horsey...

"We're bobbing along in our barrel
Some of us tip right over the edge
But there's one thing really mystifying
Got me laughing, now it's got me crying
All my life I will be death defying
'Til I know

I wonder wonder why the wonderfalls
I wonder why the wonderfalls on me
I wonder wonder why the wonderfalls
With everything I touch and hear and see”



Just to make things clear, the black cat jelly bean dispenser on my desk told me to post this. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Artistic Soul said...

I used to love this show too. I thought it spoke well to our sort of Gen X/Y intersection.

11:13 AM, June 07, 2006  
Blogger tabbi said...

At one point you had posted a list of movies, music, etc. that you liked and you listed a lot of the same stuff that I like. Since I loved Wonderfalls, I though you too might enjoy it also. PS - there is another movie on its way... :-)

8:32 AM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

We are like two peas and a pod Tabbi!!! :)

8:37 AM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

I've never seen Wonderfalls (lack of cable--fun!), but it sounded interesting when it 1st came out & after reading what you've written, I think I would like it. I'll have to see if I can rent it from either Blockbuster or Hollywood. ;o)

3:12 PM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CC promise to send to me when you are done....I'm dying to see what this is all about...so "Get off your Ass" and send it to me!!! Just Kidding-AB

10:37 AM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home