Friday, December 31, 2010

Another WTF Moment

Last night I was excited to hang out with a dear old friend from High School and her husband at a local bar. We sat down, grabbed some drinks and the conversation flowed and we were enjoying catching up and joking around. Then I made the mistake of smiling back at a guy at the bar, or perhaps he was a garden gnome, but we will figure that out later. At this point I am a local, I know most everyone in the bar, and we have a few laughs whenever I come out with friends. This guy was new, and barely 5 feet tall I suspect, and unfortunately he had his sights set on me.

He approached our table and asked if we were interested in shots, we all sort of blankly looked at him and said "sure?". He introduced himself and he was "in" or so he thought. He brought shots over and told us that he bar tends there but he was off that night. I had heard there was a new bartender but he had never been working when I was there. We humored him, had a shot and a beer with him and he kept hanging around and telling us all sorts of personal information and asking me all sorts of questions "Do you live here?" "Do you have Children" and my personal favorite "Why are you still single?" to which I should have lied and said I wasn't single, but I am too honest. Later I would have wanted to answer "because there are only little assholes like you out there to choose from" but let's not get the cart before the horse.

He says he has a 4 year old son and that the boy is visiting his mother in Texas for the holiday and then proceeds to call her every dirty, disgusting word you can call a woman. I retorted to the group "Well, that is an attractive quality, speaking about your son's mother that way". He didn't get it. Any guy who uses the "C" and "Tw" words within 15 minutes of meeting someone is definitely a classless slob. Then he proceeds to tell me he is just looking for a nice girl and he used to be a yacht captain and just bought a snowmobile. Wow. I am riveted and so impressed. NOT. Then he says "Hey, you never know, maybe we will be buying a house together" I just laughed and rolled my eyes and said to my friend "Well, isn't he optimistic and forward".

He keeps on and I am obviously uninterested so I keep chatting with my friend and her hubby, but he never gets the hint. Finally, I lean across the table and say to him "I have to be honest..." and his face gets very serious and I say "I am actually more interested in finding a job right now than dating anyone". I was trying to be as nice as I could, but apparently I let the cat out of the bag because all of a sudden he tells me has a fledgling company he wants to start and he could give me a job. I asked what the company was and what kind of job would he have for me, and I could tell that he was going to assume that I would want an admin position, so I told him I was in marketing. He said he needs sales people. I explained to him that I am not in Sales, I am in the creative end of marketing and promotion, and then it began. He jumped in and cut me off, wouldn't let me finish and proceeded to try and lecture me about my job searching techniques. I tried telling him I didn't want to get into it and he kept on. My friend kept telling him to chill out and step back, but he kept pushing. I actually left and went to talk to some other people thinking he might leave and when I came back he was still there!

He told me (in a very condescending way) that he has a degree from some college somewhere in Illinois and he had a double major in marketing. So I said "Um, OK. So if you have a double major in marketing what are you doing working as a bartender in Dtown?" He became more argumentative (which is hard to believe after the shit that he was giving me. He kept talking and cutting me off and finally I said "OK, this needs to stop. I am out with my friends trying to have a little fun and good conversation after sending out another bunch of resumes today and this is the last thing I need coming from someone I just met" to which he responded "How's that working out for you?".

I shot him back a look and then he said "Are you a fucking retard?". So I responded "Excuse me? You don't know me, and you don't know my situation and you have no right to lecture me about my career and job hunting. Oh and good luck finding a nice girl!" Then my friend jumped in an ripped him a new one and held me back because I was actually going to punch this little fucker.

He finally left our table. It almost ruined my night. I could not believe the nerve of this guy. What a psycho. From buying me a drink to talking about buying a house to calling me a retard in 1 1/2 hours. Impressive. About 30 minutes later her tries to come back and be nice "I'm really sorry, can we be friends?" and I just ignored him. He approached both my friend and her husband separately a bit later and they both told him to just drop it and leave me alone. I have never been spoken to like that, and I have never seen someone be so aggressive and rude as he was. Who does he think he is?

My friend Justin asked how my night out was last night and after I told him the story I said I can't go back there because I may actually punch the angry garden gnome, so I need to wait a bit. He said he was sorry he couldn't make it because he would've "had my back". It's probably best he wasn't there because that could have gotten messy, but it was nice to hear. I had told a few other friends who frequent there (and spend a lot of money) and I am sure it will get back to this guy, so it will be interesting to see where this goes. I might have to have a chat with the owners of the bar and let them know what kind of trash they are employing there. I know they will be mad that someone treated me that way because they are friends with my parents and we (and my friends) are great customers of their establishement.

I had to write this out and share because I am soooo angry about this still and thought perhaps writing it would give me some peace. I have never gotten in a fight or punched anyone, but if I could, it would be this little ugly garden gnome. Who knows, maybe I will get my chance...

Happy New Year Everyone! May 2011 bring health, happiness and prosperity to you all...and attitude adjustments to angry garden gnomes everywhere!

2 Comments:

Anonymous henlib said...

Wow, sounds like something I would read in a novel! At least he won't be hitting on you anymore.

7:41 AM, January 02, 2011  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

Rule # 1:NEVER accept a drink from a garden gnome!
:)

9:00 AM, January 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home