Monday, March 10, 2008

Going Through the Motions...

As I sit here on my lunch munching on fresh brocoli, califlower, snap peas, cheese and hummus (yes, less food, more healthy options) I am thinking about where I am and where I am going. I sort of feel like I am the rat in the maze, but I never reach the end. Is this really what work is meant to be? A never ending maze of annoyances, projects, and duties? The "rat race" analogy comes to mind... something I have dreaded but have obviously begun to experience only now. I can't even seem to enjoy watching a project come to fruition because 40 other projects are knocking down my door! Most days I feel like a song from one of my favorite musicals: "Once More With Feeling": "Going through the motions, losing all my drive. I can't even see, If this is really me. And I just want to be alive"

This pattern is nothing new and is obvious to my readers, I know. Every so many months, depending on how busy I am being kept, I get this urge to explore and break away from the grind. Maybe it's because the winter is long here in upstate NY and I have "cabin fever" (tho Lamby literally has "cabin fever"! haha). I find myself thinking of how trapped I feel and that I might never get to see the places I want to visit. Is that the commitment phobe in me, or just that I haven't found my niche yet?

I HATE the fact that every job ends up being "just a job" to me. It's not that I don't try, it just never seems to parlay into something I can get excited about for too long. I envy those people who knew what they wanted and now have it. I knew, I was just too immature and never had the guidance to point me in the right direction. I guess it's too late now.

Look, I like my job and do well enough at it, but I don't feel fufilled by it. I work for a good company, and they treat me very well, I am just not sure if this is the end all be all of my life of careers. Maybe that is normal, and maybe only those lucky enough to 'know' ahead of time feel fufilled by their work.

Most people I see just come to work to pay the bills, but then again most of them are doing just that. They pay their bills. What else does it afford them? Are they truly HAPPY with that? I know I am not, and it's NOT the money I am concerned with. If I was truly passionate about my work here, it wouldn't matter.

I guess my quandry is that if you are lucky enough to do what you love you don't necessarily look for many other fufilments in your life. But if you don't (or can't) do what you are most passionate about, do you settle for 'just a job' and hope you make enough to do what you love outside of work?

Sometimes I have these thoughts of drastic measures: Selling my car and storing my stuff and traveling around in order to see things and places I have never seen or visited before. Again, the idea that I am a late bloomer is so evident. I think I should have postponed College for a year, and worked and traveled. Maybe I would have grown and gotten it our of my system.

You cannot change the past, you can only learn from it. I get that. But where do I go from here?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger C.C. said...

No worries. It's the cycle you have all come to know and loath I am sure. CC is freaking out again! It will pass, something will come along and distract me from my feelings...A Gerry would be a nice distraction if I can put in a preference!!

Sorry so long today. It just spewed out! And I am sure EVERYONE can relate!

1:48 PM, March 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how much I can relate at the moment!! And the Buffy reference just topped it off -- I really am feeling just like that right now. I struggle with these issues too, and I usually consider myself doing something that I find fulfilling. But I also have come to learn that no job I have is going to be TOTALLY fulfilling -- I really like parts of my job, but they come with other parts that I don't like as much. If you can find some things with your job that you enjoy, focus on those and don't sweat the other stuff. If you just don't like it at all, you shouldn't feel like this is too late for you!! Our generation changes jobs on average 7 times in our lifetime, and even I have been thinking about giving all of it up and trying my hand at bartending (I always thought that would be fun). I think the important part is to make time for things you are actually interested in -- what happened to volunteering at the library? Or developing some other hobbies? You should do that stuff because it might open the door to where you actually want to be! Okay, that's all the pep talk wiccachicky's got in her today...but it looks pretty long. lol.

10:29 AM, March 11, 2008  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:00 PM, March 11, 2008  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

Wiccachicky is right. No job can ever be completely fulfilling...nor should it be.We all need other things in our lives that bring us joy.

I have always struggled with this...because I "Live to work" (or so I am told) rather than "Work to live". I have given up many things because for so long I defined myself by the job that I did.

Your post really hits home today. Early this morning we received word that one of our faculty members was killed in a car accident last night. 41 years old. 4 children.

There's gotta be more to life than just work.

1:06 PM, March 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home