Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

Random thoughts and opinions today Thursday August 10th, 2006: AMAZING things that confound me.

  1. What amazes me lately is the standard of living. With gas prices rising and affecting the prices of everything that depends on transportation, why do companies insist that the standard of living increase is still 3%?
  2. It's also quite amazing that people think only thru their own minds and eyes. If you are satisfied to waste away and get paid peanuts in a job that does not challenge you until you are 65 why would you assume that I want to do that as well? Just because you did not have the drive to find a job that you can accell and succeed in monetarily does not mean that I cannot strive for it.
  3. How amazing is it that people still care if Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn are engaged or not. Hollywood romances are just that...Hollywood ie: not real, fake, ridiculous, not based in reality! Why waste your time? Who cares! Just make movie Vince, you are a riot and we love you.
  4. I am amazed at not only the lack of work ethic of those people who are my age or older but that are just beginning in the workforce. I don't know about anyone else, but I learned work ethic from watching my parents and siblings. I watched and I learned and I am proud of my work style. We have a 14 year old boy who started at the library who has NO IDEA about anything. His customer service skills are so horrendous I had to step in and give him a few pointers. I have only been there 2 months, but I don't care! The things I spoke with him about were COMMON SENSE issues (When a patron is standing in front of you, acknowledge them, put your non essential work to the side and speak (clearly) and look your patron in the eye to let them know you are listening and understanding them to name a few). He seems less than eager to learn, but if he lasts into next week (which is doubtful from the attitude he had this week: Sitting in a chair with his back facing the patrons!!!) I will boot camp that little F'er and he will know how to act on a job! ARE YOU LISTENING MAGGOT???
  5. hahah. I was nicer to him than that, tho firm obviously, but I am amazed that I have finally come into my own and am competent enough in my skills that I can jump in and teach someone. I used to be too shy to say "Hey, I have worked for x amount of years and I have skills I can pass on". Now I am confident that I know my shit, so I feel I can mentor this young man and maybe make him a valuable citizen in a sea of lazy, uneducated rejects.
  6. I am also amazed that I am that jaded by society...
  7. Tho this does not amaze me necessarily, I am on my 4th day of running the purchasing department for the company. The Assistant Purchasing Manager (Who bitched that I checked my email more than I should a few weeks back) is out on vacation this week so I am ordering, receiving and assigning product all while trouble shooting and doing my normal duties. It's cake, I know what I am doing and how to find out if I don't. It has been a quiet week comparitively, but I could handle it even if it wasn't.
  8. Whilst on that subject, it amazes me that while I have learned to do 80% of the major work in Purchasing, I will not get a substantial raise for taking on extra work. How is it that the Assistant Purchasing manager gets a HUGE paycheck, but I will not get a raise even tho I am doing 80% of her work when she is out? Hmmmm...brings me back to #1 since I have heard noone is getting more than a 3% raise this year (and most have only gotten a 1.5% raise...eek!). Makes me think the company is in trouble finacially when they issue a blanket raise cap like that...even when I have taken on new duties and responsibilities.
  9. I am amazed that I found two jobs to apply for this week. Sent out my resume the beginning and middle of the week so we'll see how that goes. Yippee! Maybe there IS light at the end of the tunnel!
  10. Aren't you amazed I am done with this list??? Finally!

I love Thursday Thoughts. Gives me time to vent a bit on the week. I haven't done it in awhile, so thanks for bearing with me! :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Lamby31 said...

I'd like to add some random questions...
Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?

Why do Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Whose idea was it to put an "S" in the word "lisp"?

1:13 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Thursday thoughts...are about this terror plot...I mean I just have so many emotions to the point of being speechless about it. (It’s been the topic of discussion here at work.)

Yes, I am raging w/hormones (pregnant for the non-daily readers) but between this, the impending 5th year anniversary of September 11 and all the discussion about Oliver Stone's new movie, World Trade Center - it's just enough to make me want to crawl back into bed.

But I won't...I will not let them win. I am the daughter and sister of two decorated firemen, the sister of a decorated policeman – and a NEW YORKER, BABY. (Not to mention ½ Italian – which means there, is some stubbornness in there! LOL)

I just can't seem to fathom hating someone, hating a whole nation of people, hating culture THAT much want to kill them. I just don't get it.

I'll stop rambling - and by no means do I mean to bring down the blog today or make it political. I just wish everyone here at work would stop yappin' about it.

Umm…and CC – I am TOTALLY on board with #7/8 - one of the girls at work is out on maternity leave. So guess who gets to cover ALL of her work…and mine! (ok, that was your hint!) I mean it’s great she had a baby and it’s not that I mind covering because someone’s going to have to do it when I go out. But can they at least maybe recognize that I am doing LOTS & LOTS of work here…throw me an “employee of the month” bone or something.

Ok, I’m done. Happy, happy thoughts. Starting with – TOMORROW IS FRIDAY DAY!
=)

1:22 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

Lamby, those are some great questions. Let me answer them from my poin t of view:
1. The vacuumcleaner thing...I do it 'cause I am do darn lazy to stop what I am doing and throw that string away in the garbage...
2. Kamikaze...so maybe there is chance to identify their remains more easily??
3. Lisp...someone with a wicked sense of humor that's who!!

ahaha

1:28 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah - but without the "s" wouldn't it just be lip? LOL

1:28 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

Red. Boy, I guess I was tryingt o avoid it today. I have to say tho it is scary that there was a plot I am glad to hear that Bitain is (still)on their toes and thwarting them(so far). Bravo to Blair etc etc. Keep it up Chaps!

I worry about my brothers who travel internationally all the time when something like this comes up. I don't mind waiting longer for a flight if I know precautions are being taken to give me a safe flight. I realize business people will be annoyed, but it's a small price to pay for safety.

These people who call themselves terrorists are not stupid. They are educated (many times right here on the soil they so desperately want to destroy) and capable of highly deadly attacks. America and other nations need to realize that these countries are not like they were 50 years ago, and we need to step it up and assume that they are just as smart (if not smarter) than us when it comes to criminal acts. It's not just one area or region, they come from varying cultures races and sometimes religions. They easily infiltrate out society b/c we are accepting of those who are different. They use this to their advantage.

Unfortunately we all have to be aware and vigilent. This will never stop and will probably only get worse as the world grows smaller and angrier. North Korea, the Middle east, conflicts in Afria, South America etc. The world is going to shit, but we have to deal with it and take the necessary steps to protect ourselves.

I could go on and on. Scared, sad, angry. Yes, I am all those things thinking about it. It sucks. I can't say any more about it, it's like talking aout the infinity of the universe. I just can't get my head around it.

1:48 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree w/ the safety measures taken at the airport, but if I'm wearing FLIP FLOPS, why do I have to walk around w/ my bare feet so they can be run thru the xray machine?! They're FLIP FLOPS for Chrissake! Cheap, foam & plastic shoes. ARGH! Okay, enough ranting.

4:29 PM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home