Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Batman Sequel Ruined!!???

Here is the scoop from last week's announcement for casting the next Batman movie: The sequel to Batman Begins. I wanted to post earlier but had to finish up the MB Vacation!


Heath Ledger to Play Joker in Next 'Batman'
Aug 1, 2:56 PM EST


The Associated Press

Heath Ledger will play The Joker in the sequel to last year's "Batman Begins," Warner Bros. studio announced. "The Dark Knight" is set to begin production next year.

Christian Bale again will play Batman. Christopher Nolan will repeat as director.

Ledger was nominated for a best-actor Oscar for his role as an anguished gay ranch hand in last year's "Brokeback Mountain."

"Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless," Nolan said in the Warner Bros. statement issued Monday. "Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."


I don't know about anyone else, but I am disappointed by this news. Hey, maybe they will prove me wrong, but until I see something once they start filming, I will remain skeptical. The Joker is a menacing, evil, crazy nut-house criminal. Does Heath Ledger have the chops? Christopher Nolan has proven that he understand the darkness that is Batman, so does he know something about Heath Ledger we don't? Let's hope so!

I have seen a handful of Heath Ledger's films but I don't find his range so far to be convincing to play the role of the Joker. He must have had an incredible screen test to have gotten the role over Paul Bettany who was my top choice and who was rumored to be up for the part as well. I also thought John Malkavich would have been great although he is too old for the part. Next best thing to him? Peter Sarsgaard. Arrg!! He's a creepy one!(SNL Skit tee-hee) Another great actor would have been Robert Downey Jr. but apparently the choice has been made. :(

My hope is that I will be presently surprised by Heath Ledger. From the looks of it, Christopher Nolan has a way of creating the Batman Universe with one foot firmly placed in reality, which makes the characters eerily believeable. I doubt that The Joker will be the paint encrusted criminal that Jack Nicholson was. I have a feeling that he will be more real, earthy and sinister. I am interested to see what the makeup and costuming will be.

I am not counting Ledger out, but he will have to be amazing to win me over! No word on who the female love interest will be. If it is Scarlet Johanssen I will boycott! HAHA, not really! I mean anyone is better than Katie Holmes I guess! I just hope they pick a good female lead so I don't have to fret about 2 characters!!!

What do you think?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see HL being a sarcastic, witty joker...which I think would go along with how the new Batman is. Not you, but I think many people relate to the Joker as Jack N., which is fine, but it seems the newer Batman movies are more grown up, ya know?

Although I am with you – I think my first choice would have been Peter.

11:19 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Artistic Soul said...

Hmmm....I think HL has some things he could bring to the role. It's not an immediate fit for me, but who knows? I actually admire actors more when they take roles that might stretch their abilities.

1:27 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

I agree with the sarcasm Red, and I do believe you have to stretch to make people aware that you have good range...so Wicca you are right, maybe this will be the role that he proves that with. :)I hope so!! They can't ruin my Batman!!!

Oh! OOh! Word verification was actually a word!!!!
"dutie"

HAH!

1:37 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

OK, so I'm old and I live under this rock...Who is Heath Ledger?

1:53 PM, August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lamby....

no...

cc- you said dutie

2:52 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

Red, you crack me up...I actually thought that you would make a comment when I wrote it...We know each other too well!!!

2:54 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm intrigued and if nothing else, excited by the yummy eye candy this movie will have. Interesting...

11:17 PM, August 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home