Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Current Events: Egypt Riots

We have all seen the horrible unrest in Egypt unfold over the last week. Let me say that this seems to be a delicate situation that is starting to turn violent, which is never good. Before I rant about my personal concerns and make some jokes in bad taste, I want to let you all know that I truly understand how serious this situation is. I hope the Egyptian people can figure this out to their liking and to ours as well without the loss of life and limb, but I think we all know that freedom isn't free.

Aside from the real political and social repercussions of these riots, and those around the region, I am VERY concerned for the Cairo Museum and the wealth of history within its walls. I was heartbroken to hear that looters had stolen artifacts and ruined mummies! What made me so happy was to hear that civilians had taken up guarding these treasures from looters. I am glad that it seems most of the Egyptian people understand the importance of their grand history and it's need for preservation. I still worry, though, with the escalation in violence that further harm will be done. Hopefully the Egyptians realize that without their history and preservation of monuments and artifacts from ancient times they would have no tourist activity there and tourism equals money. I pray Dr. Hawass and his antiquities staff have secured or moved what they can.

Just saw this article: VERY INTERESTING





And now, let's be silly!

Have you ever noticed how when you watch riots, especially in the middle east, they always look like an ancient version of Mega-Doge ball? Think about it. Guys lined up on each side of the street throwing rocks at each other. The rules are slightly different though: If you get hit, you are not out... unless it renders you unconscious!

There were reports of women and children getting caught up in the violence in the square. Well, here's a tip chicks and kids: If you don't want to get hurt, stay out of the RIOTS!

This is horrible to say, but every time an Egyptian on the street involved in the riots is interviewed, all I can think of is this one line in that 80's classic "Jewel of the Nile" starring Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner and Danny Devito. In speaking of the leader of the country a man says "Omar is very bad man!" in a very thick accent. Anyone else remember that?




All kidding aside, I hope the Egyptian people can move forward in peace and harmony. The region is a powder keg and I would hate to see what happens if it should explode further.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lamby31 said...

It sure is a "Mess-O-potamia"!

12:59 PM, February 03, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home