Tuesday, November 28, 2006

West Coast Holiday Part 2: Napa in Style

Tuesday was our wine tasting tour of Napa Valley Wineries. Mark told us that we needed to be ready because the Limo was picking us up at 10am...Yeah, you read that right...THE LIMO!!! How cool is that? Here we are in the Limo, I am pretty sure this was taken after we had been to a few wineries. :)



The first Winery we visited was called Paraduxx. As the name suggests, the theme was ducks off all sorts like mallards, wooden etc. I loved it because they played great music there too (I heard a Red hot Chili Pepper song people!) and the architecture of the tasting room was light, bright and airy.

The next winery was named Clos Du Val. This is the entrance to the tasting room which I thought was beautiful.


Clos Du Val had amazing rose gardens and was so picturesque. It was a beautiful property.


Our third visit was to Del Dotto Caves. This place is very unique in the valley since the tasting takes place while walking thru man made caves!
Left to right: Mom, Dad, Mark and Anne enjoying Del Dotto Caves.

It was very cool and they served A LOT of wine. They serve wine out of the barrel using a glass tube called a "Wine Thief". I think we tasted from 7 barrels in the caves, a bottle in a small tasting room plus 2 port wines after that! It was crazy and so much fun!
These barrels line the walls and at the end you take a left to enter the caves. You can just barely make out the golden face hanging above the door in the back on the left over the cave entrance. Mark took most of the winery pictures, and I know he got some great shots at each. (that's a hint for you to send those along when you get a chance Mark!:)

Our fourth and final tasting was at Trefethen. Let me tell you that by this time, none of us could taste any difference in any wine! We were comfortably numb (not drunk!) and getting sillier by the minute. I couldn't remember the name of this winery when we returned home to tell Cullin of our adventures so I kept calling it Tetherball!


We returned home after a wonderful day in Napa to cook out some huge steaks on the grill. Again a savory meal was prepared by Chef Mark! Great food after a day trip in a Limo to Napa? I could get used to that! Yes, you could say I have been spoiled a bit!


Part 3 tomorrow: The Mystery of the Golden Gate Bridge: It really does exist!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

but did they serve wine in juice glasses? because you are italian... ;)

12:54 PM, November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jealous! That sounds like a LOT of fun. Great pics too. :-)

3:35 PM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

Juice glasses? huh? We bought so much wine at Del Dotto they GAVE us a set of wine glasses!!! How's that sound Red?

4:43 PM, November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CC! Havee you never sat around a very loud table filled w/food and crowded with Italians telling stories, drinking homemade wine out of those little juice glasses?

10:09 AM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

What you need to remember is that I am an imposter. I am not REALLY Italian...except for a few dark chin hairs and an appetite the size of Texas...HAHA! My Italian grandparents (who came off the boat from Italy) died before I was born. I never got to experience crowded dinners at Grandma's that consisted of Grandpa's homemade wine and 7 courses of delicious food.

Obviously I have heard many stories but that is something important to my family's history that I missed out on. Not just hearing them speak Italian or for the food, but knowing my grandparents for who they were and where they came from. I love to hear the stories but it also makes me sad b/c I didn't experience all those great times myself.

I wonder if Lamby remembers juice glasses at Grandpas?

10:57 AM, November 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

technically, i am right there with ya...hello, i am part irish! LOL

12:58 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

Aaah, but I do remember as a small child the loud table with more food than you can imagine and juice glasses (sometimes tumblers!) full of red wine. The children got a glass with dinner of ginger ale with just enough red wine added "to give it a little color" as my grandpa C. would say!!
Those were the days!

10:56 AM, December 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home