Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Who's Your Daddy?

I have to say I have had some interesting conversations in the past week or so here at work so here is my weekly rant. I am sick of being nice and letting things go because I don't want to start any problems. I need to stand up for myself and show that I will not tolerate being treated with anything other than respect. Let me explain.

I have had a few issues with some coworkers that might have required disciplinary action to be taken, but me being the nice person I am decided to take the bull by the horns and send out a warning flare.

  1. Our courier seems to have a need to sneak up on me and grab me at the waist to scare me wherever and whenever he can. This has happened in the executive offices and most of the time on the production floor in front of other employees or whilst I am speaking with other employees. I had spoken to him once or twice before and told him to stop doing that. It would work for a few months and then he would start up again. This time I decided to tell a few choice people (ones who would tell him what I said) that the next time he tries it he better be ready b/c I will slam him. He has been avoiding me like the plague now for two weeks. If he starts up again, I will tell my boss and get disciplinary actions moving. My 3 rules: 1. Don't touch me 2. I will try to rectify the problem on my own 3. If my way doesn't work then I will get help.

  2. The next one is "Creepy Married Guy" who works in the dreaded Press Dept. One time about 5 or 6 months after I had started here, he invited me to hang out with he and his wife and family at Coleman's bar one night. In an effort to meet people I said yes and brought my roomate along for the ride. They ended up being a very strange group of people and we excused ourselves early in the evening to get the hell out of there. I cannot prove it but there seemed to be alterior motives there like they were swingers or something disgusting like that. Carolyn and I both came to the same conclusion seperately in the bathroom whilst making our escape plan. Hence the "Creepy Married Guy" name. That was the last time I ever accepted and invitation from anyone on the floor to go out.

  • Anywho, he was telling the maintenance guy that he knew me pretty well and that I don't embarrass easily the other day. I let the Maintenance guy know that Creepy doesn't know me at all. Maintenance guy said that he talks to me on a regular basis. That was really funny to me b/c after that "evening out" over a year ago I have been avoiding him like the plague. I also let him know that I am friendly to everyone and speak to whomever speaks to me. I told the maintenance guy that noone here knows anything about me, (with the exception of my friend Beth) b/c I don't discuss my personal life with people at work. It's like that MTV celebrity show "Diary": "You may think you know me, but you have NO idea". It makes me wonder what other tales Creepy has been telling...but the maintenance guy has a big mouth so I know it will get back to him. I could care less what anyone here thinks of me so who cares if it gets back to him that he and his wife and friends are pigs.

I am a friendly person who speaks to everyone regardless of their position in the company. It's harmless meaningless chit chat about work or the occaisional "have you seen this movie" that we all have to be polite to coworkers in the workplace. That's my deal. Unfortunately it gets me into trouble and people start to think because I speak to them or smile and say hello that they know me or I am their friend or that they can ask me out etc. Most of the time I don't know who they are, but if they speak to me I will speak back. It's just polite social ettiquette (which I forget that most of these people have no grasp of).

These people don't know me and they never will but their idea that they do know me and their actions freak me out sometimes. It's just frustrating b/c if you are a good, happy, friendly person and it kicks you in the ass. I refuse to change who I am just because a few losers make me uncomfortable. I guess I just have to start kicking some ass and taking names...I have to take care of myself b/c body guards are too expensive!:)


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to find a new job ASAP!!

3:35 PM, August 23, 2006  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

Work is a dangerous place to make friends anyway. One never knows who they can really trust!...

3:37 PM, August 23, 2006  
Blogger C.C. said...

I have to say I am a freak magnet. I wish I could find a job ASAP Henlib! Believe me I am trying, but I need to get out of this stinkin' city to find anything worthwhile apparently!

My place of work is a culmination of the uneducated, immoral and and obnoxious...Once this new software system comes in to play in the next month, I won't have to even set foot down on the production floor anymore!

Now can you see why I am so unhappy here, on top of not having challenging work and being bored out of my mind!

3:45 PM, August 23, 2006  
Blogger Amy said...

I think you will rock at being a librarian (that's what you've decided to become, right?)& can't wait for you to leave your sucky job & finish school!

7:34 PM, August 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

move to nc.

=)

2:58 PM, August 24, 2006  
Blogger Artistic Soul said...

There is NO reason your male co-workers should be treating you that way. It sounds like harrassment to me.

12:23 PM, August 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home