Friday, November 18, 2005

Snow Driving in CNY

So today was our first real snowfall here in Syracuse, NY. It wasn't much but we got 2-3 inches and some of the roads were a bit slippery, but nothing that us hardy snowbelters can't handle, right?

Well, not exactly. Every year I am flaberghasted to see how many of my upstate NY comrades forget how to drive in snow conditions. I mean, come on people! Winter lasts here from November thru April practically! After bitching and complaining about a six month winter, how is it that you all forget how it is to drive in it? Short memories here apparently.

They drive too fast, follow too close, slam on their brakes and make movements that are tricky even on dry roads. I had a guy today in a jeep cross over two lanes and miss swipping me by about 1 foot. Luckily I took my foot off the gas to slow up enough so there could be that foot between us! A 4 wheel drive does not a good (or safe)driver make! Like every vehicle, 4WD have their shortcommings too, and black ice or slippery ramps don't discriminate! I wanted to follow him and show him the bat I have in my car WITH HIS NAME ON IT!!

I can handle most any kind of snow and weather. I am a defensive driver b/c I know that the other holes on the road will cause the accident, not me. If you want to be a good driver in any weather, follow my four basic rules:

1. Back off! Don't follow too closely, b/c the jerk in front of you will most definately stop fast and you will be the one at fault.

2. Gentle Persuasion Never slam on the breaks in rain or snow. I usually will let off the gas to slow (if I can) before pumping the breaks gently. Any way I can cut down on slidage is a good thing.

3. Slow Down! Rainy streets can be treacherous too, especially in traffic down steep hills or around tight corners. Snow is worse. Maintaining a safe speed and going with traffic may be annoying, but your risk of causing or having an accident declines immensly when you just cool it and slow it down. I am not saying be a granny, but sometimes you have to. Patience is a virtue, especially when it saves lives.

4. Anticipate! This is the most important thing of all!! Watch the other rejects out there driving with you. Being aware and predicting their speeds and movements will help you negotiate any kind of traffic pattern you come across with ease.

Perhaps I have come across a bit preachy here, but this AM commute really struck a nerve (and it's not even truly winter yet!) Stop driving like idiots and start paying attention! I am not a perfect driver, I like to speed and weave sometimes, but NOT in snowy or rainy conditions. If you live in a snow area, put your thinking cap on, reboot your memory banks or take a moment to switch seasons mentally! If you can't or won't, move away from me or I may have to follow you home and show you the bat I have...with your name on it!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Driving in the snow sucks. And most people suck at it. I'm SO excited to be going south so I can drive in the HEAT & overheat the car (rather than worry about icy fishtailing) :o)

3:52 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we got an inch and a half my first winter down here.

i didn't have to go to work.

LOL LOL LOL

oooooo....BLACK ICE!........

4:04 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous Mia Jexen said...

This is the time that driving close to another car is a big no-no, especially when the road is very slick, which is why having an 8 seconds distance from the car in front of you is the best way in keeping both of you safe from accidents.

12:14 AM, March 31, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home