Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My Trip To San Francisco Part 1

Back in April of 2005, I traveled to visit my brother Mark and his wife Cullin. My friend Carolyn came with me and we had an awesome time!! The "Death March" from the Pier and Fisherman's Warf to The Mission District, a trolley ride, and off to Napa for some wine tours, we saw it all! The following are some pictures we took on our trip...finally!!! Enjoy!

We begin with a picture from Muir Woods State Park. This palce was amazing, redwood trees everywhere, I felt as tho I had walked into the realm of Lothlorian. There were trails and paths that lead in deeper and I would like to spend more time there next time I visit.

Driving over the Bay bridge into the city gave me a chance to take a few pics of San Fran. This one came out best.

The Golden Gate Bridge from that famous vantage point we all see in movies. Amazing view, amazing bridge!

Ahhhh...Coit Tower. This was an interesting site on Telegraph Hill. "The Coit Tower was built in 1933 with funds from Lillie Hitchcock Coit. She was an eccentric personality who was best known for her support of the local firemen. After she died, she left one third of her fortune for the beautification of the city. The result was the Coit Tower, which is both a memorial for Lillie Hitchcock Coit and for the San Francisco firemen." (exerpt taken from aviewoncities.com/sf/coittower.htm) Perfect! Firemen!!! 'Cause we're hot!
There are murals painted on the ground floor that were really interesting."It is a matter of historical record that the Coit Tower art project was the prototype for the decade of the New Deal art that followed, 1933-43, halted finally by World War II. Utilizing carefully selected artistic talent, the project provided an iconography of the "American Scene" for the largest of all the art programs at that time, the Works Progress Administration's Federal Art Project...The themes of agriculture, education, urban and rural life, social protest, and New Deal Idealism established at Coit Tower were to become the subsequent subjects of those same artists and of others who took up paintbrushes and sculptors' tools under further government-sponsored art programs throughout the nation." (taken from coittower.org) I wonder what it is like in ahhh...summertime...


A view from Coit Tower of the city. If you look carefully you can just make out the "Crooked Street" in the upper center of the pic.

This picture was also taken from Coit Tower as the sun set. I took 90% of the pics on this trip and I am very proud of this picture in particular.

Vines with stones marking the type of grape at Mondavi Vineyard in Napa Valley. We visited two other wineries (Beaulieu Vineyard, and Sequoia Grove)for tasting and Mondavi for a tour and tasting. My first ever! How cool that it was in Napa!

The Statue outside Mondavi Vineyard. I thought the gold accents were beautiful! It is Saint Francis if I remember correctly.

Well, I have more pics but thought I would save them for Part 2. Hope you enjoyed a small glimpse at my trip! Tune in soon for more!

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to visit San Fran (my dad had great stories from when he was there on trips for the Naval Reserve). Looks like fun & great pics!

12:56 PM, November 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol, you have some great pics of California. I enjoyed looking at them. It makes me want to go there!

6:39 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

great blog. It's amazing where click, click, click will take you! :)

7:39 PM, November 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great photos dew!

I must say though, you are a little slack on your blog...you missed whatever wednesday again! LOL LOL

LOL! my word verification is IWIZ!!

...and I do, often b/c of all the water I drink!

9:05 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger C.C. said...

Yeah, yeah, noone posts comments on "Whatever Wednesday", then you all complain when I don't do it! HAHAH! It (or something)shall return next Wednesday! I promise!!!:)
I love word verification! I have gotten some good ones too. I think we should start posting them in the comments if they are good ones!!

9:51 AM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home