Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Changeling: A Review



This is the story of a true life case regarding the plight of Christine Collins and her lost son, Walter. The depth of the movie surprised me since I was not aware of the encompassing happenings dealing with police corruption and grisly crimes committed in Wineville, California.

I don't want to say too much plot-wise, because I feel that not knowing made the movie more shocking to me, hence you should view it that way as well. I did not realize that this was directed by Clint Eastwood, but it became evident very quickly why he chose to bring this dark chapter of California history to light.

Set in the late 1920's, costumes, production value and cinematography were all well done. The casting was excellent, especially when you compare Gordon Northcott's actual photo to the actor who played him. John Malkovich was awesome as usual and perfect for the role of the Reverend Gustav A. Briegleb. Angelina did well as Christine Collins, however I felt she overdid in some parts, though it did not ruin the movie. I understand why she received a nomination but not the Oscar for her performance.

Changeling was heart-wrenching, stomach-turning, and sad. I admit that I not only cried but sobbed at times during this film. It was a horrifyingly true story (with Hollywood taking the usual liberties of course) that transcends time. It is a really well done movie with surprisingly little in the way of "Hollywood liberties" as far as the research I have done. That said, it's a hard movie to stomach for anyone because of the truth to it, and probably especially hard to take if you are a Mother.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous henlib said...

I couldn't see it after I watched the trailer, what a nightmare for a parent!

8:07 PM, March 31, 2009  
Blogger Sparkles said...

Although this is supposed to be a sad one, I really want to see it and can't wait to do so! I think I will have to be in the "right" mood to watch it though... Not sure what the "right" mood is but I will find it!

6:33 PM, April 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home