Sunday, September 07, 2008

Marie Antoinette: A Candy-Coated Cinematic Creation!

Thanks to Beth (Big Geek),she has successfully introduced me to my newest obsession. Sure, it was probably a ploy to get me to stop talking about London and Aaron Eckhart, but I am glad she talked me into watching the visually stimulating: “Marie Antoinette” starring Kirsten Dunst.

Directed by Sophia Coppola in 2006, this movie is an interpretation of how Marie Antoinette came to be the Queen of France and the life she led up to the revolution. Beautiful Costumes, filming on location at Versailles and an amazing soundtrack of period and 80’s music complete the visual experience.

The cast is varied and interesting. The acting is adequate and the fact that only one or two of the characters uses the correct accent is overpowered by the color palette and sheer beauty of the film. You all know how highly I regard soundtracks and costuming so it’s no wonder that I fell in love with this movie. Pastels and candy colors abound with rich prints and textures, popping from the gold leaf interior of the palace of Versailles. The director of photography clearly separated the feel of Austrian and French courts and captured the youth of the teenage couple who were catapulted to the throne so young. His perspective meshed so well with the costumes and music that it seemed like I was watching a beautiful dream.

The soundtrack is an amazing compilation of 80’s tunes by artists like Adam Ant, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bow Wow Wow, the Cure and New Order. Throw in some Vivaldi, a bit of opera and some harpsichord pieces and you have a feast for the ears! This has to be one of the BEST soundtracks I had never owned. Now it is one of the best soundtracks that I DO own, and I am LOVING IT!

Not knowing much about Marie Antoinette probably helped me be taken in by this movie. I was not expecting anything and therefore was pleasantly surprised. It seemed that Sophia Coppola had a lot of input in costuming and soundtrack as well as directing. I was impressed with her and I look forward to watching other movies of hers.

This movie has also made me interested in reading more about Marie Antoinette, as she obviously was a historical figure whose story was skewed and demonized for purposes of propaganda, like so many unfortunately. I recently purchased “Marie Antoinette: The Journey” by Antonia Fraser and I am looking forward to seeing what portions of the book were interpreted in the movie.


Little hidden gems like these Period shoes and sky blue converse speak to the feel of this movie, so here they are just for Beth!

1 Comments:

Blogger C.C. said...

Sorry about the alliterative post title, I was getting carried away!

Yo, Marie Antoinette is a Scorpio. Born on Nov 2nd
...just like my friend Ari. And both Fashion Mavens!

9:16 AM, September 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home