Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Mardi Gras!

Every year I do a Mardi Gras post on Fat Tuesday because as many of you know, I have had a fascination with the city of New Orleans and it's culture(s) since I was in high school. It all started with Harry Connick Jr., then in college: Does anyone remember the 1996 tv show "The Big Easy" about a New Orleans detective named Remy McSwain? Hey the show was great, he was hot and I was addicted. I have never been and since Katrina I really am torn about going but I wouldn't turn down a trip.

ANYWHO, Usually my post is of an educational nature (2006 and 2007) but this year I wanted to provide links to live Cams around the city so you could check out all he action down in NOLA.

I remember at one of my jobs, the only person in the department who had internet access was my skeevy boss. So, since he traveled often, I would sneak into his office during Mardi Gras and especially on on Fat Tuesday and hop on the internet and check out the Bourbon Street cams. Yes, another instance of me being all stealthy! The only good thing about that boss was that we would get a King Cake every year since he did some work for a New Orleans Track.

Those were the days when we would go to this great little place called The Mellow Joy Cafe where the owner (who had recently moved from NOLA) cooked up some southern love like jumbalaya, catfish, shrimp or crawfish Po Boys, Pecan Pie, homemade cornbread and many other amazing dishes! He got to know us since we were in at least twice a week! I think we tried everything on the menu (you know me and my love affair with food!) I miss that place! He closed the year I left that job and moved away...perhaps I was keeping him open!!:)

So now on with the cam links. Since we can't be there, prepare to laugh at all the crazy!!! Enjoy!!! LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!!

Parade Cam from Fat Harry's


Bourbon Street Cam from Tropical Isle Bar

Wait here is a good view from EarthCam Bourbon Street

4 Comments:

Blogger C.C. said...

Well, I am bummed by the lack of good cams this year. Usually I can find a good streaming video cam on Nola.com but this year the cams seem to be slow or blacking out alot. Oh well, I tried! At least we are seeing some activity on the streets now! It's still early, so check back this afternoon and often!

Oh and sorry that the cams aren't separate windows. Not sure why that happened that way...

10:56 AM, February 05, 2008  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

It's OK. We love you anyway.

11:52 AM, February 05, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay this is just plain getting wierd! I have been to New Orleans TWICE and I have never been to California! Love the food, the music, the people and I am still wearing the perfume I order from a special place on Rue Royale. Also Mello Joy used to be in Schenectady and that food and the chicory coffee were great but he was a little grumpy crazy! CC we were separated after birth! Mon petite chou (Creole for my little cabbage - a term of endearment). Meet me at Tippytina's!

8:11 PM, February 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,grasshopper. It was good to see your recollection of mardi gras king cake at the sacred Imperial house of dick the marketing marvel. I do recall saving you from ingesting the king inside the cake.I guess you have not posted in awhile; hope all is well as we go forward into the year of the rooster. stay focused, Master Po

9:50 AM, January 27, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home