Monday, March 12, 2007

Gerry Butler Triumphant in "300"



WOW.

WOW is what comes to mind when I think about the recent film adaptation of Frank Miller's "300". I saw it Sunday afternoon on my way back from visiting family and I am still in awe of this film. Gory, violent, sadly true and visually stunning this movie is more than men at war at unbelievable odds. Gerry Butler is truly amazing as King Leonidas of Sparta, commanding respect from his men as a strong triumphant leader. He has definately shown he has the chops to be a leading man in a big movie. Oh and he is in AMAZING shape as well which didn't hurt (and so was everyone else!)

There were a few familiar faces amongst the cast such as David Wenham who portrayed "Faramir" in the LOTR Trilogy. Lena Headey was amazing as the wife of Leonidas/Queen of Sparta, able to be strong and supportive yet feminine at the same time. The writing was excellent and the fighting was balanced well with some levity and scenes from the Spartan capital. From what I have read, this was fairly accurate historically as well which is always more interesting. It is written that when Xerxes, the Persian God-King yelled for the Spartans to lay down their weapons, King Leonidas actually yelled back "Come and get them!".


This story was well balanced between the bloodshed of war and the love for country and family. It moved fast, was wonderfully cast and was just shy of 2 hours. Who says an epic movie has to be epic in length as well? This movie was extremely timely as well captivatiing the audience with ancient characters who lose sons in battle and fight for their freedoms. I am so glad I got to see this on the big screen.


Tomorrow catch pics from my weekend excursion: A Documentary on Clowns in the military? and who had a Psycho Billy Freakout??:)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Artistic Soul said...

I wasn't too sure how this might turn out given the previews -- I don't know if I'll see it on the big screen since I don't like gore much, but it might be a rental now...hmmm...

1:59 PM, March 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you are going to think everything Gerry does is good, which is sooo true. He is so underated and I hope he stays like that. We don't need another Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio! You get to keep him all for yourself since he isn't totally famous yet. Maybe, I'll watch 300 sometime since it deals with a Greek battle.

7:49 PM, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home