Monday, April 14, 2008

Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life...

Well, my exercise and diet program anyway...Yep, I am starting TODAY!

I put on a few pounds over the winter, and probably everyone does. It's those cold nights and bulky sweaters that hide those extra pounds until spring. Then when you think you can go swim suit shopping, you are rudely awakened at the site in the mirror!

Living by myself has been a blessing but also a temptation to eat like a pig whenever I want. I love food, but my portion size is too big. I could blame that on my Italian "Eat! Eat!" upbringing where food is always the center of everything including any social and family event, but I need to be accountable for my actions.

By Diet, I mean I am cutting down portion sizes, cutting some carbs, and drinking more water. I eat a well balanced diet anyway, so this adjustment should be realitively easy.

By Exercise, I mean just that. I am going to start walking after work 3 to 4 times a week. My complex is a beautiful place to walk or ride my bike, so I might as well take advantage of it, especially because the weather is getting nicer. It's like a free gym membership. I have always preferred getting my exercise from actual activities (outdoors is best), rather than being inside a gym. Fresh air is a real mood enhancer! On days that it rains, I have a plan for weight and flexibility training I can do in my apartment.

I have a weight loss goal in mind (20 lbs), but since I am an athletic build I tend to tone and build muscle quickly meaning numbers don't reflect the reality. I may loose the fat, but gain the muscle making the scale seem like I haven't lost much, tho I have actually gained a much healthier physique. In other words, I will not be a slave to numbers for that reason. If my clothes are fitting better or I drop a size, then I know I have reached my goal!

The hardest thing is sticking to a schedule. For me, at the end of the day, I am usually so tired that the thought of changing into sweats and sneaks to go back outside and walk seems ridiculous. For this, I am attempting a simple mantra "Bikini Body". I think that will be sufficient motivation. Perhaps as added motivation, whenever I am craving Ben and Jerry's Phish Food Ice cream or chips and queso, I will start singing the Baywatch Theme. Watching that show always made me motivated to work out! :)

Did you begin a fitness routine in January, or did you wait until now like me?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muscle weighs more than fat, so just go by how your clothes fit instead of the scale.
I wish I lived near you, I would walk with you every evening. And you do live in a nice complex, just watch out for all of the squirrels!

7:31 PM, April 14, 2008  
Blogger C.C. said...

Ah Henlib! I would be in great shape if we lived nearby! I wouldn't need to sing the Baywatch theme to get motivated, because you would be my motivator!

Yes, squirrels. "As an Agent, I am well prepared for any clandestine squirrel activity, should it happen whilst I am on my walks in the evening..."

Do you hear the wheels turning? I can sense a string of blogs coming your way about such activities!

10:58 AM, April 15, 2008  
Blogger C.C. said...

Oh and CC's 2008 list just underwent a MAJOR face lift. Check out the sidebar link to it.

11:47 AM, April 15, 2008  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

I started using luncheon siz plates for dinner...it helps us feel like we are eating a larger portion than we really are!

3:14 PM, April 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home