Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Match.com Experiment: Week 1 Review

My first week is coming to an end on Match.com and I wonder, can it get any worse? Can it get any better? Yesterday I thought perhaps I should throw in the towel. It's depressing! It's horrifying! But mostly it's sad.

Granted, getting a date with a decent guy in Upstate NY has always been akin to an episode of Mission: Impossible. The dating pool is awfully shallow and I am convinced global warming is evaporating it even further. Everyone says I am too picky, maybe that is true, but that is who I am.

I forgot a deal breaker: No Children! Dealing with a divorce is one thing, but dealing with someone else's kids is a non-negotiable for me. I dated a guy a few times in Syracuse who had a 4 year old (against my better judgement). She took precedence (obviously) and it was very difficult to make plans, keep plans and actually get to know the guy. If I had a kid, that would be different, but I don't and I don't want to play second fiddle to his.

Seriously, it hasn't been all bad. I have chatted with a few nice guys. It's definitely not a great score: Decent Guys: 5 Creepy Dudes: 127, but it's not a total loss...yet!

Here are a few more gems:

"Everyone says I look a lot younger than I am" - the dude was 56!!!!

"Single Dad With An Edge
I am a single father whose been out of the dating scene for some time by choice. Would like to meet a nice woman who knows how to treat a man." - Huh, great opener. Can I get you a beer from the fridge honey?

One guy wrote "What do you really want?" as his tag line...once I saw his picture my answer was "Not you!"

"I ask that you please "get it "
I am someone that gets what it takes to be a friend ,lover and companion.....I ask that you are able to do the same. I come from a very solid background ....i ask that you be of similar origins." - yea, the only thing I "Get" is that you have to rely on your 6-pack abs because you have no personality. That is obvious because you just HAD to post a picture of them on your profile. Classy...

"hi there!
I'm afraid that this limited format doesn't allow me the opportunity to share with you all of my varied interests. I guess I would describe myself as a life long learner." - Oh no! A life long learner!? I am so intimidated by his perceived intelligence and breadth of life experiences!

Some guy withe screen name of "HotPigLove" favorited me...what do you think? Should I pursue that one????

3 Comments:

Blogger Lamby31 said...

Ok...the score seems overwhelming...but it only takes ONE
(to ruin your life)
;)

10:46 AM, November 22, 2010  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

one more thought..."life long learner" is code for..."I have spent a great deal of my life going to school,and maybe have lots of degrees (a lots of debt), but no steady job and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up..."
Wow, Lamby IS jaded!

10:50 AM, November 22, 2010  
Blogger C.C. said...

Lamby, I thought the same thing about the life-long learner... I think everyone is a life long learner, because we learn every day, but when you come out an label yourself as one, it just means you are on the never ending search to find out who you are and I already KNOW who I am...LOL

11:00 AM, November 22, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home