Monday, November 24, 2008

Fun with Big Geek!

Beth and I went to the Everson Museum on Saturday to see the Marie Antoinette exhibit as well as the Andy Warhol exhibit. We had a bit of fun when it came to the children's section to pose as Marie Antoinette and play dress up:

"I do so prefer Cake over Death!"


"Off with Who's Head?"


Down on the farm with CC and Beth:



But wait! An evil plan is forming...


The proprieter of "The Worst Pies in London" perhaps??? Beth thinks me more a pirate wench in this getup:


I've gotta say that I was NOT impressed with this museum. The shell and spaces have incredible potential, but I found the walls to be rather empty and lacking, with exception to the Warhol and MA exhibits. One room literally had 2 sculptures and 3 canvas in it and left me mumbling "That's it?" If you are a ceramic head, you may enjoy the plethora of ceramics and pottery in the lower level, although the layout was elementary at best and very uninteresting. The gift shop is in need of a major overhaul as it's tie-ins to exhibits were cheesy and some were a bit of a stretch.

I refuse to believe that a local Museum should be so boring. They should take a lesson from another local museum that bridges modern and local art with classical and historical pieces flawlessly. Everson has a wonderful opportunity to fill the culture gap in central NY, it would be a shame if they missed the boat.

3 Comments:

Blogger C.C. said...

So I begin my little post as a silly photo collage of fun and then it turns into my review of the museum.

Huh. I do have some ideas for them, maybe I could help them out....

1:48 PM, November 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with you about the Everson's space. They need to do more with the two main rooms on the second floor. I guess the big empty spaces are supposed to give the museum a more 'contemporary' feel, kind of like minimal art. I went to the Marie Antoinette exhibit too and thought it was so cool. The manniquins were sooooo life-like it was creepy.

2:11 PM, November 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget we couldn't see that other room because there was "condensation" and one would slip on the floor. With the amount of people at the museum that day, I don't think we had to worry....

You are right though about the museum. BORING!

I think they are getting a new director or something. Perhaps when that happens we should go back. Hopefully the floor will be dry by then. Oh and don't forget, Do not place anything on the black displays! You will be yelled at.

beth (big geek)

10:51 AM, December 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home