Tuesday, September 30, 2008

There once was a band named Porcupine Tree

I had first heard the group Porcupine Tree this past summer while waiting to see RUSH in concert. My nephews knew them and had their discography so I was interested to hear more. They are a very interesting British "Prog Rock" group which apparently started as a joke and grew into something real.

I need to learn more about them, but their music I have heard so far is incredible. Their sound is an eclectic mix of haunting melodies with hard guitar riffs and electronica undertones. It sounds crazy, but they make it work. I am interested in listening to more of their stuff and comparing it to the album I have right now "In Absentia".

Here are the lyrics to the song I heard before the RUSH concert this past summer. When I had first heard the song, the music completely moved me, and now that I have had time to listen to lyrics I am impressed even further:

The Sound Of Muzak

Hear the sound of music
Drifting in the aisles
Elevator prozac
Stretching on for miles

The music of the future
Will not entertain
It's only meant to repress
And neutralise your brain

Soul gets squeezed out
Edges get blunt
Demographic
Gives what you want

Now the sound of music
Comes in silver pills
Engineered to suit you
Building cheaper thrills

The music of rebellion
Makes you wanna rage
But it's made by millionaires
Who are nearly twice your age

One of the wonders of the world is going down
It's going down I know
It's one of the blunders of the world that no-one cares
No-one cares enough



Great quote from band lead Steven Wilson:
"My fear is that the current generation of kids who're being born into this information revolution, growing up with the Internet, cell phones, iPods, this download culture, 'American Idol,' reality TV, prescription drugs, PlayStations — all of these things kind of distract people from what's important about life, which is to develop a sense of curiosity about what's out there."[30]


Thanks Kevin and Thomas, I needed some new (to me) music. That's hard to find these days!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like most of Porcupine Tree's music (that I have heard), the lyrics sound like something Kevin and Thomas would write!

7:05 PM, September 30, 2008  
Blogger C.C. said...

Ha! Some of their lyrics I hope Kevin and Thomas would never come up with! CREEPY!!

For instance:
"This is my home, this is my own, we don't like no strangers
Raise the kids good, beat the kids good and tie them up
Spread it wide, my wife, my life, push the camera deeper
I can use, I abuse, my muse, I made them all"

nice.

12:24 PM, October 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home