Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A New Discovery???

For the last few days I have been following a story from Egypt in which the remains of a famous Queen of Ancient times (15th century BC) were being tested to prove her identity. This is so exciting for anyone who loves Egyptology because Hatshepsut was such an interesting part of Ancient Egyptian history.

NPR had a great article about the announcment from Zahi Hawass and his scientist's findings. Still, other Egyptologists are still not certain that the mummy is that of Queen Hatshepsut, which makes the debate of the mummy's identity even more interesting. Love him or hate him (and his debaters like Salima Ikram: She is cool!!) they all want the best for Egyptian antiquities and the fact that they can disagree keeps them all honest. They are all extremely intelligent scientists in my opionion.

Below the article is an excellent historical review of Queen Ratshepsut, her life and her reign. One of the earliest feminists??? Read the article here

Hatshepsut's Temple at Deir el Bahri:


A statue of Hatshepsut in full Pharonic dress...including a (false) beard!


While searching for some pics for this post I stumbled upon a young girl's website which chronicled her journey through egypt. Not only were parts very educational (cultural insights and travel hints) but her pictures were amazing. I haven't read the entire account, but marked it as a favorite so I can go back and read it all b/c what I had read was great. Chek it out here.

Well I was excited to post this but couldn't until late b/c our internet has been down for a day and a half at work. Frustrating from a work perspective and also from a slacking perspective too! (tho I haven't been slacking lately since I have been kicking ass on my projects!!! :) But here I am, 11:40pm spreading my passion for Ancient Egypt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sparkles said...

i remember hearing about this on the news the other day. it's pretty cool! to be honest i don't know exactly who the person is that they found but it is still a pretty amazing discovery either way :) see you tonite!

8:40 AM, July 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is def news to me. I'm sooo glad Hatshepsut has been discovered at last! From the article, it sounds as though they are pretty sure it is her-the molar part of the discovery was clever. Though, it's kind of weird that she had reddish hair. I'm surprised her stepson didn't destroy her body. Thanks for posting the news.

7:33 PM, July 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home