Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thursday Thoughts

Where to start?

I don't know if it was the full moon yesterday or the fact that I was stressing a bit last night about an interview I was having early this am, but I was in rare form and fairly emotional.

Let me tell you about this interview. I had been approached by a coworker to interview for a position with his wife's office. He thought I would be a great fit and felt I was being under-utilized here (duh) so we chatted and at the time (this was about 3-4 months ago) I decided not to bother. He approached me again right before the holidays and I figured that opportunity doesn't usually knock twice so I said I would interview, even tho my gut was telling me it wouldn't work out.

I had a 7:15am interview this morning at the office. It is a medical office and the position was "Receptionist/Office Manager". This was not moving ahead for me, but since he talked it up as a growing field of health with advancement opportunities, I figured, why not? His wife was great and had an upbeat friendly personality. I think we would get along famously. Her assistant was nice too.

So anyway, we talked position requirements, hours etc and the initial information. Then we get to money and they asked me what I was looking for and I told them. They wanted to offer me much less than my anticipated wage and to my surprise, less than I am even making currently! Then they tell me that vacation would be less than I currently have and that the medical and 401K is still being negotiated with new carriers. The assistnat even told me that her 401K was just sitting there not accruing anything b/c nothing had been decided for a few months!...Um, No!

So basically I felt like I got up at the Butt-Crack of dawn to be offered less than what I am making now with shaky benefits at best? I don't think so.

I realize that my skill level and education level are way beyond this position, but I thought if they would pay me decent, I might try it while keeping my eye on the big picture and an actual career goal. They were nice as was the environment and a 4 day work week with every Friday, Sat and Sunday off seemed very workable...HOWEVER:

(So as Lamby so elequently put it:) I cannot make a lateral move for less or the same as I am making now. I should be commanding a better salary and higher status considering my education and experience at this point. I should be focusing on career goals not just taking another job.

This is all common sense, but it it nice to hear someone say "Yeah, you are worth more!" even if it is your own sister and she is biased! :) Hey, at least I interviewed to keep those skills up, even tho I interview very well, every experience makes you better, stronger and more knowledgeable.

Oh and by the way, they offered me the job, I just need to call them tomorrow and decline the offer. Hopefully since this didn't work out, it means that a better opportunity is on the way...so back to the drawing board I guess!

Only the first week of 2007 and I have already started the job hunt. Not too shabby, huh?!

Yep, and now I am all pooped out:

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that office need an RN? I would like to work somewhere that is closed on Fri,Sat and Sun!

7:19 PM, January 04, 2007  
Blogger C.C. said...

cUnfortunately, if they can't pay me what I need, they definately can't afford an RN! It's too bad because the atmosphere was really nice.

yeah a 3 day weekend every week was definately a selling point... but $$ talks!

9:51 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

OK, But I need to know where you got the pic of the dog???

10:37 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger Artistic Soul said...

Yes...lateral moves are not in your best interest at this stage, so you are making the right call!

11:51 AM, January 05, 2007  
Blogger C.C. said...

Lamby, I got that pic from "cute Overload" the link is listed on my sidebar. I recommend visiting often for your daily fix of puppies and kitties and cutenes galore!

Yeah, Wicca. 4 year degree and almost 10 years of work experience and one of the best work ethics around (even thos I am blogging right now during work!) and they still don't want to pay me! I am not asking for millions, just a comfortable living wage here people!

11:58 AM, January 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home