Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Five Warning Signs of Burnout:

Sign No. 1: Your co-workers are walking on eggshells around you. If you find yourself becoming cranky and irritable with co-workers you used to get along with, it may be more than just typical interpersonal dynamics. (Um yea, cranky and irritable is probably an understatement)

Sign No. 2: You come in late and want to leave earlier. You used to wake up in the morning excited for another day, but now every day you dread heading into the office. Once lunch passes you start watching the clock, counting the minutes to the end of the day. (I am not sure I ever woke up excited for my job, but it definitely has gotten even harder lately. Dread is a good word. When you would rather be home cleaning your bathroom, it's time to look for another job!)

Sign No. 3: Apathy has replaced enthusiasm. You feel no motivation, no sense of accomplishment and have no desire to be challenged. Those who have burnout lose their motivation to perform, as well as their feelings of pride for a job well done. (BINGO!!! )

Sign No. 4: You've lost camaraderie with co-workers. You're no longer interested in the company network. You used to go to lunch, go out for drinks and participate in other company functions but now have no desire in socializing in or out of the office. (There are few that are my buds: Beth, Sam and Mary. I am pleasant to everyone, but do not want to waste too much of my energy on anyone who hasn't PROVEN themselves as allies...still jealousy prevails and if they really want my job they can have it!)

Sign No. 5: You're feeling physically sick. You always feel exhausted, have headaches, feel tension in all of your muscles and are having trouble sleeping. These physical signs are common indicators of job stress, and demonstrate that this can turn into a physical problem. (Headaches, exhaustion and tension are really prevelent. I sleep OK, some nites better than others, but it's consistantly a restless sleep which leaves me more tired)

If you are experiencing these symptoms, it's time to make some changes.


Life is too short. I just want you to back me up and let me follow my heart. I am not an irresponsible person that will quit my job without a place to land, but I have the right to be dissatisfied and search for something that is a better fit. ( Even if that fit is as an interpretive dancer in Prague.)

Let me fall down a few times, let me make mistakes. You can't protect me forever. I respect your advice and appreciate your help, but I have to live MY life, not the life you want me to have based on your experiences.

I know no matter what I end up doing or being, you will be proud of me because I am HAPPY, not just because you like the sound of my title. I hope you can just trust me until I get there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sparkles said...

Your message at the end of this post is amazing! Life is too short not to enjoy every minute of it.. Even at your job! You are a great person and you deserve greatness. We all know you are a responsible and smart person, so with whatever you do, there is no doubt that you will not only land on your feet but hit the ground running!

8:19 AM, February 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I am burned out! You are burned out.

I need a new job.

beth (big geek)

4:54 PM, February 24, 2009  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

OK...so I'm not just burned out...I'm rusted. Where did you find these signs of burnout?

11:32 AM, February 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home