Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ahh...Venice



Last night was the viewing of The Last Crusade. I have to admit that I have never watched all three movies back to back like that. It really was interesting to compare and contrast them all. It definitely was fun seeing them all together this week!

Nate made an interesting point that I hadn't noticed before. Raiders took place in 1936, Temple took place in 1935: 1 year before Raiders tho it was the second movie, and Last Crusade was in 1912 (when Indy was young) and then 1938 for the remainder of the film. Interesting timeline huh?

On the subject of nostalgia:

I was 5 1/2 when I went to see Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Although I was little, I was so taken by this adventure movie that I feel that it set the stage for other movies I would fall in love with through the years.

I remember coming out of the theater and telling my parents that I wanted to be an Archaeologist...and as far fetched as it was portrayed to be, that was when my passion for antiquities (especially Egyptian) began. As corny as it seems, my first memories of my love for archaeology began the moment I stepped out of that theater that night.

From then on I spent time pouring over the encyclopedia brittanicas in our home, I even talked a teacher into allowing me to do one of my first elementary school papers on Egypt! I never feel so comfortable and fufilled as when I am reading, learning and exploring ancient civilizations and times. The passion would wax and wane in high school, but never leave me completely. It has grown stronger over the years, leading me to declare a second major in college in Anthropology, something that love for Archaeology had opened my eyes to.

As ridiculous as it seems, watching these movies (especially Raiders) has reminded me of my true love of history and antiquities. I also realized that perhaps Raiders began my infatuation with Movie music as well, since John William's score (and not the popular parts everyone knows by heart)is some of the earliest music I remember that moved me.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is:

Thank you Indiana Jones. Your unbelieveable adventures around the globe sparked something inside of me when I was so young and I am proud to say that I still have that spark today. It's a feeling that keeps me young at heart, passionate for a hobby I adore and allows me to look back on many fond memories.

That being said, "The Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls" better not SUCK!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's what great movies do - inspire! Hope you liked the movie. I am looking forward to the Sex film next weekend. Lamby is a Charlotte, you are a Carrie and me I am I don't know who!
As for Venice, it is always in my dreams.
Later, Uncle Laurie

10:01 AM, May 24, 2008  
Blogger Sparkles said...

i can just imagine what you are gonna blog about next week!... maybe the last comment that you made in this post???

11:33 AM, May 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please dont see it.
it will ruin it for you forever.

5:33 PM, May 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home