Thursday, April 26, 2007

Memorial Service


This morning at 10am I attended Sarah's Memorial Service. I was very nice and gave the family a chance to speak of her and their memories. There was not a dry eye in the church. For me, seeing the family and friends gather made this tragedy a reality. It's so hard to grasp that something like this happened.

My roommate Carolyn sat with the family and I sat with her mother and father. I know noone really knows what to say or what to do in times like these but I felt like I should be doing something more for my roommate. I know in the coming weeks and months I will be able to help and support her, but right now it doesn't seem like I am doing enough.

My favorite Priest led the mass and he said an excellent Homily. He is my favorite because he has such a gentle nature about him and that came thru when he was speaking of Sarah. I think he was the most comforting part of the service.

Speaking of comfort, even those of us who have faith have a difficult time with such a tragic death, so for those who have no faith, including many in Sarah's family, I realize that this time is even more painful and difficult. I just hope that the words spoken and the people who attended will give the family peace and calm knowing that Sarah touched so many lives.

I learned a lot about Sarah today, not only in the words and stories told by family members, but by the number of friends and coworkers that attended. As I had said, I knew Sarah thru my roommate, but did not know her very well. She always was friendly to me and she had a great sense of humor. Whenever I saw her we would always end up joking around and laughing about something. :)

Even tho she was taken so young, Sarah accomplished some great things while she was here. She had obtained her Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy and helped so many children with disabilities. She met and married her soul mate, Brian, whom treated her with respect, love and honor. They had a wonderful relationship, one of the strongest I had seen in a young couple. Sarah and Brian had taken a trip to Ireland last fall, a trip they had been dreaming of for quite some time (they even got to stay in a castle!).

These are only a few of the things she will be remembered for, but most importantly that while she was here she LIVED. She was a go-getter and a confident woman who knew what she wanted and went after it. Goal-oriented, Sarah was an intelligent and a wonderful role-model. She will be missed.


I want to mention one "Thing I know about Sarah" that I neglected from my previous post: She LOVED the color Pink. There were vases upon vases of pink roses adorning the alter today. I remember joking with her about the fact that she was always wearing pink and I was always wearing black. I did wear pale pink nail polish for her today. She would have laughed at that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a good person Carol! I am sure Sarah thought highly of you just as you do of her.

8:04 PM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh Ceece, how hard it must be for all of you right now. These are 2 beautiful posts about Sarah. My thoughts are with you and your roommie.

12:33 PM, April 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home