Thursday, September 24, 2009

Be Still My Beating Heart, Sting!

About 4 years ago I had been looking for a compilation of traditional English Christmas Carols and songs. I started a post on STING.COM that he should do an album of traditional carols because he has the style and voice to do it. I got a few responses that agreed, and not that I am saying that post lead to this upcoming album, because I am sure others who listen to Sting would make the same conclusion, I am just glad that my wish is being granted in some form.

The release date is October 26th. I want the "International Deluxe Edition" with the extra songs. Here is the information on the album:

'If On A Winter's Night...' presents an arc of songs that conjure the season of spirits, the eerie silences of the snow; days of solitude and reflection for some, a time of rebirth and celebration for many.

With traditional music of the British Isles as their starting point, Sting and his guest musicians draw the listener in through a collection of songs, carols, and lullabies spanning the centuries - such as The Snow it Melts the Soonest (traditional Newcastle ballad), Soul Cake (traditional English "begging" song which has its roots in Halloween/All Souls Day), Gabriel's Message (14th century carol), as well as two of Sting's own compositions - Lullaby for an Anxious Child and The Hounds of Winter. Also featured on the album is The Hurdy-Gurdy Man - a musical reworking and English translation (by Sting) of Der Leiermann from Schubert's classic winter song-cycle Winterreise.

The international deluxe edition of 'If On a Winter's Night...' comes in a limited-edition, hardcover CD-size book (60 pages) with liner notes by Sting, and lyrics in English, with German and French translations. It contains two bonus audio tracks (Bethlehem Down and Blake's Cradle Song) plus a 22-minute DVD of video footage from the recording sessions in Tuscany, including interviews with Sting, his guest musicians and producer Bob Sadin.


Tracklist:

1. Gabriel's Message
2. Soul Cake
3. There Is No Rose Of Such Virtue
4. The Snow it Melts the Soonest
5. Christmas At Sea
6. Lo How A Rose E'er Blooming
7. Cold Song
8. The Burning Babe
9. Now Winter Comes Slowly
10. The Hounds of Winter
11. Balulalow
12. Cherry Tree Carol
13. Lullaby for an Anxious Child
14. The Hurdy-Gurdy Man
15. You Only Cross My Mind In Winter


ADDITION: Here is an interview (produced for the dvd probably) with Sting.

YAY FOR STING!!!! He is my FAVORITE!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous henlib said...

Is Cherry Tree Carol a song for you?

I agree this album looks great (almost as good as Sting himself)!

8:28 PM, September 24, 2009  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

I want that!

9:37 AM, September 28, 2009  
Blogger Lamby31 said...

Is that a German Shorthaired Pointer on the cover with Sting??? What a great breed!

9:39 AM, September 28, 2009  
Blogger C.C. said...

I added the video I meant to originally publish with this ( I had forgotten when I wrote it) So you will get a taste of some of the songs. Be careful tho, Soul Cake will get stuck in your head!

Good point henlib! It's a song about me eating breakfast at the Cherry Tree and a warning to not overeat! lol!!

Also, Lamby, You may be able to see more of the DOG. Could be a Pointer, not sure. My first thought was that it was a Brittany Spaniel. Who knows!? He used to have a couple Irish Wolfhounds which were beautiful.

Sting is a dog person (As if he needed to score MORE points wih me) and has a few songs about dogs.

10:26 AM, September 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home